In the Fon language of West Africa, the word 'zémidjan' means "get me there fast" or "let's go quickly." Consequently, Gozem is a transport technology platform developed to rapidly improve lives across Africa.
Working with various stakeholders across the private, public, and informal sectors, we aim to unlock the true potential of the region by solving problems that hinder progress, starting first by addressing the relative dearth of efficiency & security within segments of the transportation sector in West Africa.
If you share our vision of moving Africa forward quickly, apply to join our team today.
We Are Recruiting To Fill The Position Below
Job Title: Country Manager, Nigeria
Gozem will soon launch its on-demand transportation service in Nigeria, and we are now looking for a highly motivated individual to own the long-term growth and development of Gozem in Nigeria. If you have a strong entrepreneurial spirit and love setting a vision, solving problems, and creating something from nothing, this may be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
The Country Manager role at Gozem is a unique opportunity to have a direct and significant impact at the earliest stages of a tech startup in West Africa. As a key member of the team, you will oversee and optimize Gozem in Nigeria to achieve rapid growth while ensuring improved convenience, security, and reliability for riders & drivers. This data-driven role calls for a rare combination of problem-solving skills, creative business thinking, and strong interpersonal ability/people skills.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the expansion of Gozem in Nigeria
- Work closely with the global team to define the local business goals and implement strategic plans and operational processes to achieve them
- Develop strategic business partnerships with various stakeholders in Nigeria
- Manage local regulatory & political issues within Nigeria’s transportation and tech industry when required
- Spearhead local marketing & rider acquisition campaigns, events, and PR activities in Nigeria, and work closely with central marketing teams as appropriate
- Oversee local driver engagement, including acquisition, onboarding/training, and support, and work closely with central operations teams as appropriate
- Execute business development activities based on market plans and agreed upon guidelines
- Evaluate and execute different referral and incentive programs to grow Gozem's rider & driver base
- Champion needs of riders & drivers in Nigeria and build/maintain internal communication and reporting structures to ensure that insights from local operations inform global strategic initiatives and support the overall company in decision-making
- Be responsible for general business management and financial/operational reporting tasks
- Be the face of the business in Nigeria and manage the voice & brand of Gozem through interactions with various stakeholders
- Build & manage a team of high-performing individuals and help groom future leaders of Gozem
- Actively reinforce the cultural tone of Gozem internally and externally in Nigeria
What You’ll Need
- 6+ years of professional experience with a proven track record of successfully leading initiatives, projects, and teams is expected, but we will consider candidates with less experience if they meet our other requirements.
- Ideal background experience in a high-growth enterprise or an operations-intense fast-paced environment. You like taking initiative and easily adapt to constantly-changing work environment.
- Strong people management & leadership skills across disparate constituencies from Moto-Taxi drivers to Director Generals at partner organizations. You excel at working with diverse populations.
- Great communication skills. You communicate & collaborate effectively in written & spoken English. Knowledge of French is preferred, but not required
- Stellar networking skills and the ability to make smart partnerships happen
- Data-driven decision mentality, strategic thinking skills, and sound business judgment
- Creative solutions mindset with bias for experimentation to constantly improve and optimize processes
- Basic computer skills necessary (including proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, & presentation software) as well as overall digital literacy (including comfort and familiarity with Android & mobile)
- Entrepreneurial DNA
- MBA or Master’s degree strongly preferred, but not required
- Experience in sharing economy, tech business, transport industry, startup or dynamic high-growth company is a strong plus
- Intimate knowledge of Nigeria and a strong pre-existing professional network in the region is a strong plus